Friday 1 April 2011

Task #10 - Image Generators

I got my name in lights with notcelebrity.co.uk

http://www.batmancomic.info/ 
After Task #9, I have to say I have really enjoyed Task #10 for no other reason than I can see the practically implications of how I can use some of these great image generator now inside my classroom.

Having read Dione's teaser about having 'received a soda can apology', I began my investigations with says-it.com.  After a shaky start with the site experiencing a large amount of traffic, hence preventing my images from being generated I finally was able to create an LP.  I liked that you were able to edit the text and colours within this site but was a little disappointed that the background image did not have a transparent capability.  Nonetheless, I can see me kids loving this site and using it with both their wiki pages and Glogster poster creations in the coming term.

Likewise my students will love a number of the links contained within the generatorblog.blogspot.com, the only downside of this site is that there are a number of sites that are unsuitable for primary age students so some time needs to be spent identifying those that will be appropriate given the age group and set tasks.  In my usual fashion, I have already found myself exploring many of these sites and as you would expect, some are better than others.  Will have to investigate
http://www.glassgiant.com/
 the availability of many of these addresses through our network as well, as I have no doubt many would currently be unavailable for students to access.

Given the nature of our work in technology next term with Internet safety, I can see the value of the avatar creations sites but was a little disappointed that doopleme.com/ requires joining to access a number of the avatar decorative features.  I did, however, quite like the lego character creator.  And yes, that is my efforts at the bottom of this page to create my own avatar - scary how similar we look!

Perhaps the link that I can see the most benefit from inside the classroom is makebeliefscomix.com.  This site has great potential, especially as an English and revision tool. I also think our Spanish teacher will be very excited to learn of its possibilities is his subject area as well.

In short, I have been amazed by how many Image Generators there are in Web 2.0 Land.  I can see their benefits as both a novelty and an application tool within the classroom and look forward to continuing to explore what is out there - though perhaps it will have to wait for another day given that it is already the early hours of Friday morning!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I love your images!!!! Pleased you have really enjoyed this activity & can see potential for further use.

    ReplyDelete