Sunday 1 May 2011

Task #17 - Delicious

A year or so our librarian at school put us onto delicious when, due to a rebuilding of the network, most of use lost our 'favourites'.  Since then I have been an avid user, and find the ability to store relevant websites in a central location which I can access from anywhere extremely convenient. 


At school we also use delicious as part of inquiry approach to learning and through our College Resource Centre website students are able to access relevant websites to their unit of study.  These lists are compiled in collaboration between our Resource Centre and teaching staff are a godsend in providing students with a springboard from which to undertake their research.

The downside I have found with delicious is its repeated 'changing of hands'.  Over the Christmas break, delicious was taken over by Yahoo and when I tried to access my account was prompted to create a new Yahoo account.  With already too many accounts to keep track of, I emailed their help desk and was able to acquire a back-door entry to avoid having to sign up with Yahoo.  Then, without warning it happened again.  As recent as last long weekend, I saved a number of websites to my delicious account only to then find on Wednesday when I tried to access the site that they had been taken over by the boys from YouTube.  This time there was no back door option and I had to give permission for my bookmarks to be moved across to, what I can only assume, is their operating system, in order to access them.  Granted the transition was seamless but two changes in four months doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, so I might have to begin investigating what other sites are out there.  Marjie's, of 'Seeking and Finding' blogging fame, suggestion of 'diigo' is intriguing and could provide the solution I am looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment