Sunday 8 May 2011

Task #19 - Rollyo

Rollyo...Roll NO!  So far I am off to a bad start with this week's second task.  I had a very quickly look at the site last night after finishing my post on Wikis but in trying to access the page and register this morning have had NO LUCK!  Just a lovely pop up message reading "Didn't connect - Too many connections".  I am in two minds as to what to make of this - firstly it could be an indicator of the popularity of the site or secondly it could be a cautionary warning of the site's unreliability. Time will tell!


Twenty minutes have since past and I am still unable to access the site!  Not looking good for Rollyo!!


It is now nearly an hour since my first attempt and still no luck.  In the words of Einstein:


Still, be it curiosity or stupidity I will persist, as from what I have been able to read about the site and its functions, this is something that I could see myself using in the classroom.  So at this stage I will save this post as a draft and try again later today - fingers crossed! [12.52pm Sunday 8 May].


Well finally success!  And it is only just after 3.30!

Have just registered for Rollyo and have already been in and have "rolled my own", creating a search for an investigation that we do in Term Four on Antarctica.  I must say, I found it all very easy, once I was able to get into the site.  A few copy and pastes later and I was away!


I have already tried linking to my Rollyo search from my wiki and found that I had to make the search public in order for students to be able to access it, though in hindsight that seem quite logical really!  I really like the way that Rollyo presents the results of each search, very kids friendly.  I also am also a fan of the amount of text provided about each of the search results for the students to read through, a plus in helping them to hone their scanning skills. 

Something that is so simple and easy to use, Rollyo was definitely worth the wait - a resounding yes from me!

1 comment:

  1. So pleased you persisted & found an application which sounds like it will be very handy for you.

    ReplyDelete