Sunday 20 March 2011

Task #6 - Google Maps

Like most people, I have come across Google Maps before and have accessed for a range of activities including planning overseas trips, finding directions and of course checking out real estate possibilities. 

What I have learnt that I didn't know before undertaking this week's assigned activities, was that the inclusion of Google Maps within other websites such as those found in Real Estate is a perfect example of Web 2.0 Services in action.  I could really show off my new knowledge and use the Web 2.0 Lingo, it is an example of a mash-up!  Two different businesses/services automatically linked via the Internet.

Something else that I didn't know until today's more detailed exploration of Google Maps was that you are, as a Google Account holder able to sign in and actually add places to the Map.  For example; if you conducted a specific search for a location like 'Billy Bob's Bikes' and no listing was found, you can got to the bottom of any listings that may be provided on the left hand side and select the link ADD A PLACE TO THE MAP.  I also didn't realise that you can also edit the details for a particular location by selecting the EDIT link inside the pop up box for that location.  You can add or edit phone numbers, address details and even move the little pinpoint marker to the correct location.  Very cool features of which I was unaware until today.  This course is really proving to be an eye opener!  Just goes to show you there is always more to learn.  Or as Albert (Einstein that is) would say:

 "Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them!"

1 comment:

  1. I am pleased you were able to find some new features on Google Maps. Must say I'm inspired by your Einstein quotes too!

    ReplyDelete