Sunday 20 March 2011

Task #7 - Google Books

To be honest, I really don't know where to begin with this one.  I was aware of Google Books but until today I had not really taken the time to have a good look at it - confessing that I prefer the experience of wandering through a book store and picking up the book, then having a good flick through it and perhaps having a quick read of a couple of pages to see if it is what I am looking for.  Talk about the low tech approach.  And not yet time effective either might I add.  I don't know, I find that there is something very personal in selecting a book and the Internet seems a little too clinical approach for my liking.  That said, I can see for those who would in a library setting this may well be useful, especially in handling some of those challenging request from both students and staff alike.
 
I was interested to learn of the two major contributors to the Google Books catalogue;
  • Google Books Library Project which is endeavouring to catalogue all the world's books
  • Google Books Partners Programme which, let's face it is an avenue for publisher to market their wares

In seeing the Google Books Library Project I was reminder of an SBS documentary that I saw on this project and I remember at the time thinking of the amazing applications that this had for the preservation of continued use of rare books.
 
Of all the Google investigations I have undertaken as part of Task 5, 6 and 7, I found Google Books to be the least inspiring.  It's dedication to the preservation of books on a global level is most admirable but in terms of accessing these feature on a day-to-day basis I have to be honest, I would probably just conduct a general Internet search of information on a book rather than access Google Books specifically, especially as most of the purchasing option etc that do come up appear to be mostly America - well on the searches I did anyway!
 
Kudos to you Google for all the amazing work you are doing and for providing services that do not come at an added expense.  Just another reason why I prefer you to Bing!

No comments:

Post a Comment