Saturday 21 May 2011

Task #22 - Audio books

It amazes me just how in tune the weekly 'How to Web 2.0' emails seem to be with my life!  It is actually becoming quite freaky!!  Only yesterday I was in our library inquiring about an audio version of a book that I was looking to read to my students, thinking that it would be nice for them to, on occasion listen to someone other than me!  As to goes, the library had all the audio books in the series except the one that I was looking for.  Then the clanger...we are apparently getting OverDrive in the College at the beginning of next month!  What the!?!?  I had no idea what they were talking about but now, thanks to this course, I don't need to look foolish in my ignorance any longer.

To be honest, I think it is a terrific concept.  More and more I am finding that many children do not seem to value reading as part of their daily lives, preferring the stimulation of television, gaming or computers to a good book.  Life is indeed becoming increasingly busy and there just doesn't seem to be time any more to just sit back and relax, escaping into the pages of a great story.  Is it that we are busier or a we just getting lazier?  After all using our minds to create the imagined world of the novel takes more effort than the passive input of video as a story telling medium doesn't it?

The use of audio books can be a great way to bring back those reluctant readers.  A happy medium between the book and the video?  Still there is something about the turning of pages isn't there that seems to suck you in.  I remember a book from my childhood that I really loved, primarily because it captured the anticipation that comes from not knowing what lies over the page.


Personally I encourage my students to use an audio book and read or follow along with the book at the same time.  This multi-modal approach has ensure some of my more challenged readers are able to access novels in which the content is of greater appeal and it is most certainly a happy day when they then want to reread the book, find another in the series to read or something else written by the same author.

Funny isn't it, listening posts were always a hit with kids, even when I was young, and as recently as last year I dug out an old set and used it with my guided reading groups.  Low and behold, they were mad for it!  I guess somethings never change and this is just the latest mod-con way of doing it!  Bring it on!!


Found this link to a school embracing the new 'modern listening post'

PS:  In keeping with this week's book theme.  I have only recently found out more about the 'Kindle' reading gadget that appears to be popping up all over the place.  It's implications, and of course that of the iPad,  seems to be marking the beginning of the end of the printed book.  Couple this with the number of bookshop closures in recent months I cannot help but shed a little tear - there is something about the touch and feel of a new, and even a much loved book.  Here's hoping that technology doesn't become the soul holder of our history!


Interesting article about the decline in Amazon printed book sales subtitled - 'Trees happy bookworms sad".
http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/portable-media/amazon-com-now-sells-more-kindle-ebooks-than-printed-books-957410

Also found this interesting link of free ebooks where you can download to iTunes or as mp3 files
http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment