Sunday 22 May 2011

Task #23 - Downloadable Media

Quite frankly, it is hard to imagine a world without downloadable media isn't it?
 
Pondering this I recall a time about 12 years ago when I was planning an art class for my students centred around the work of Vincent Van Gogh's 'Starry Starry Night'. 
I managed to find an old calendar of his paintings to show my students.  Seeking to further inspire their work, I wanted to play them Don McLean's 'Vincent.  Several visited to a number of different music stores later, I finally found his 'Greatest Hits' album and $15 later I had my inspirational music.  When I think back to this lesson I cannot help but think how far we have actually come.  Now, by entering a few brief words, I can find thousands of web sites, videos, photos, interactive activities. You name it, it is out there!

So what is the point I am trying to make?  Well it is now 12 years later and the world is clearly a very different place. I have every and any resource I could possible imagine at my fingers tips.  There is really no excuse in this day and age for teachers not to access the enormous range of resources out there to enhance their teaching and, in turn, the learning experiences of the children in their care. 

OMG! 
I have just realised the poignancy of my reflection...the children I am teaching today were not born 12 years ago!

Be it images or sound files to enhance an art lesson, the web is full of downloadable media just waiting to be discovered.  Audio books and Magazines; Newspapers; Radio Programs; TV Shows; Movies; Videos; eBooks and Journals; Podcasts; Games- there really is no limit to what you can find, if you take the time to look.

Of course downloadable media also raises the issue of copyright, and as teachers this is something we need to be mindful of in access and using materials with our classes.  I have alluded to this topic in previous blog entries and confess it is something I am still trying to get my head around.  I have, however, found a couple of resources that might be useful for anyone who also find this aspect of downloadable media a bit of a mind field.  I highly recommended you check out the video 'A Fair-y Use Tale' created by a Professor Eric Faden of Bucknell University as seen on the Stanford University Law School Website.  It really is very clever.  The Australian Copyright website is also worth checking out.  I found their 'An Introduction to Copyright in Australia' quite informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment